A Medley of Musings

Serious health and life changes, call for a serious name change to this blog. In the past I tried to research my blog name, so it wouldn't be a duplicate blog name that someone else might have. I won't be researching it this time around, so the name is subject to change without notice. Life is kind of like that.

The hand made toys, Mini-Me Jan, and Rolly the Octopus are also something I have a passion for. Making hand made items, especially toys.

Thank you if you're sharing this journey of written blog words, and various assorted written musings, with me by reading my blog now.

Jan

Tuesday, December 25, 2007

I've Got Questions! Who's Got Answers?

I joined some sites that emphasize the benefits of joining a traffic exchange. I'm promoting other people's web sites, products or services. Some of the things I've read, said I have to have a web site. Other sources said I didn't need one. But no one told me if it was an absolute requirement to have my own web site, when I'm promoting other people's items, and not my own.
So I placed some ads in a few of these traffic exchanges. I figured maybe I’ll get traffic going to those other web sites and someone will buy one of the products I’m promoting, and I’ll happily earn my very first commission!
I wondered if anyone would see my promo ads, even though I didn’t have a web site of my own? It seemed to me I didn’t really need one, since I was busy promoting other people’s stuff.
But was I wasting my valuable ad credits, when I didn’t actually have my own web site for people to look at in these traffic exchanges? And how would I ever be able to close the sale, when I was pointing other people in so many different directions? I didn’t know which sites anyone might stop at, whether it was for a badly needed pit stop, a lunch break, or even just to stretch their legs.
So here I was, giving directions to other people’s web sites, with no idea where the drivers might end up or even if they got lost along the way.
Besides the thought of creating my own web site intimidates me! All that technical stuff I don’t have a clue about. Then there’s the things that can easily go wrong in even trying to build my own site and all the delays that creates. I can feel a major headache coming on before I even begin. Plus I’m frequently plagued by a wild gang of computer gremlins, who delight in creating mischief for me and my computer, behind the scenes. They’re the biggest source of my frequent computer headaches!
But a Blog?!! Now that’s something I think I can handle. So here I am! I’ve written a few articles here and there. I know how to type! How hard can it be to type up some blog posts every once in awhile?
People talk about finding your “niche”, and now I can promote all kinds of things from my very own blog if I want to. I can promote some cool sites I’ve found helpful, some free ebooks I’ve read, some products other people have recommended that could even be the next big thing.
I can even promote my two cats, the weather, myself and a whole slew of other things, if I want to. It’s my blog, after all isn’t it? I should be able to promote whatever I want to promote. Talk about having a wide open niche? Hey, it works for me!
Well it seems my blog is located on a road that hardly anybody ever travels down at all. Maybe I should head out into the middle of this road I’m on, and try to flag somebody down, to get them to stop and look at the all the different things I'm promoting.
I’ve lost all track of time. Have I really been sitting here for hours? It seems more like days, maybe even weeks, and hardly any cars have driven by me, on this old deserted side road that my blog just happens to live on. Well so much for all the traffic I had hoped to get!
I’d still like to definitively know, if it is it an absolute requirement to have my own web site, when I’m promoting other people’s stuff? Does anyone have an answer to that question? I’m sure other inquiring newbie’s, would like to know that answer as well!
If you know the answer to that question, well you know where to find me. I’ll be sitting around, chilling out, losing track of time, waiting for an occasional car to come by me, on this not very well traveled road, that my blog and I now live on.

No comments: