A Medley of Musings

Serious health and life changes, call for a serious name change to this blog. In the past I tried to research my blog name, so it wouldn't be a duplicate blog name that someone else might have. I won't be researching it this time around, so the name is subject to change without notice. Life is kind of like that.

The hand made toys, Mini-Me Jan, and Rolly the Octopus are also something I have a passion for. Making hand made items, especially toys.

Thank you if you're sharing this journey of written blog words, and various assorted written musings, with me by reading my blog now.

Jan

Monday, December 31, 2007

Why I Love Blogging!

I never thought I’d see the day, when I was actually blogging. My previous blog post as to “Why I’m not a Blogger” written in May of 2007, might help you understand why I wasn’t quickly jumping on the blogging bandwagon.

I think the idea of trying to start a blog intimidated me. I knew you couldn’t just start writing something somewhere, and that would be all you’d need to do with it, ever. I think what scared me was the amount of time, I’d have to spend just trying to get one set up. And I was right about that.

I certainly got bogged down, in trying to get my new blog set up. Setting it up, took me much longer than I thought it would take. That included getting the search engines to start searching for my blog, setting it up the way I wanted it to appear, in color scheme, fonts, and placement of things. That didn‘t even include the actual writing, proofreading, editing, or revising of my blog posts.

But now I have to say I love Blogging. I’m happy I took the time to set it up, to get it the way I wanted it to be. There is something very freeing and very empowering, about being able to write about whatever I want to write about, with only a few restrictions being placed on me. The areas of profanity, or objectionable material in many different categories aren’t really the things I want to blog about to begin with. So I’m good with those particular restrictions being placed on me.

In school, I could write an article but it had to be whatever topic the teacher gave me to write about. When I joined an online writing site, my articles had to be within a specific word length, and be written about a certain topic. I actually found that quite helpful. I could find a topic I thought I could write about and then proceed. Sometimes that was much easier then trying to come up with ideas to write about, all by myself.

But with blogging, I can cover all kinds of topics if that’s what I want to do. There’s no restrictions on minimum or maximum word length. It’s not too likely I’ll write short posts very often, as brevity doesn’t seem to be my style. Nor do I want to make them so long, if someone were to look at the length of my blog posts, it would scare them away before they even began reading anything.

I like that I can write short or long posts, as the mood hits me, or as the topic might require. I can include a poem once in awhile. I can write in a serious manner, or write something sarcastic, tongue in cheek, and what I hope my readers might view as humorous.

I’m sure blogging on certain topics will take me off track from time to time, from the main idea of what this blog is supposed to be about. Or the topic might not fit in with that particular “niche” I’m supposed to be zoning in on. Well that’s another thing I like about blogging. My blog itself doesn’t require that I create several different blogs to write to different niches, different topics.

I’m not saying I’ll totally discount or ignore that good suggestion to write to a certain niche, and why it’s probably a good idea to create different blogs for different niches.

But while driving my car, I often found myself diverting off onto some unfamiliar road. Taking a drive down a road I’d never traveled on before, just to see where it might take me. That’s how life goes sometimes. You never know when you might get sidetracked or have to take a detour, during your travels through life.

Why should blogging be any different then life?

No comments: